Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Oreo Yogurt Chocolate Cake


Past 2 weeks had been a madness for the mummy ! Totally washed out. I was scrambling to decide what cake to make for my younger son's 10th birthday. Panic. 2 days to count-down ! I have 10+ hungry kids to feed for his birthday home party ! And that's only the cake saga..

As always, my beloved Chatty one had gone ahead to tell his friends that mum's cooking crabs for this birthday ! Wow..That's super Sales talk, unbelievable thrown-in freebies ! He had totally forgotten his recent sudden onslaught of crab allergy , hmm..how convenient ! And that's only the crab saga...

As ever the "Gung-ho" mummy, as ever the sacrificing mummy, oh.. , there is no backing out. My son nonchalantly flipped through the cake recipe book and pointed out a gorgeous looking Oreo cake picture - a white fondant cake with Oreo toppings. And so, sealed my fate !

It's a change from the usual Chocolaty cake. I guess this will be fun to experiment with my version of Oreo. It's still Oreo, without doubt .. ** fingers crossed **.


My whipping cream was running out. So, I thought why not add yogurt as well.

What I did .. for a 12" by 12" square tin

(A) Chocolate sponge cake
10 egg yolks
400 gm. cake flour
200 gm. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1 cup cooking oil
2 tsp. vanilla essence
4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cocoa powder

(B) 10 egg white
1 tsp. cream of tartar
150 gm. sugar

(C) Filling - Oreo Cream
150gm oreo biscuit (crushed)
200gm plain yoghurt
150gm sugar
300 gm Dairy Whipped cream
50 gm pure cream

(D) Decoration :
Oreo biscuits, chocolate twists , icing sugar



1. Mix all the ingredients (A) together until smooth.
2. Whisk ingredients (B) to create a stiff peak, suggests using a cake mixer.
3. Add this whipped egg white into (A) and fold with a spatula.
4. Put a grease proof paper at bottom of tin. Pour into a 12" by 12" square tin and bake for about 45 mins to 50 mins till cooked at 180C. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack. Slice into 2 layers.
5. To make oreo cream, mix yoghurt with sugar. Fold in whipped cream and pure cream. Add in the crushed oreo. Blend in until all mixed.
6. Spread oreo cream over 1st layer of sponge cake. Add the top layer of the sponge cake and spread all oreo cream all over.
7. Decorate with oreo biscuit and other desired toppings. Use a sieve to sprinkle icing sugar




I love the final touching up.. it so so fun..




Only managed to taste the cake on my son's big day. The kids went crazy over the chocolate twist... grabbing and gorging down the side Oreo biscuits ! Thank goodness, the taste came out right !

ALL I can say is that fantastic kids .. well done ! His friends was like "Aunty.. you bake this cake..?" I was like Who me ?? Best of all..was the appreciation from the birthday boy who said.."mummy..this cakes taste very good".

Kids are real honest ! I agree.. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. You are such a sweet mummy that baked cake for your son. He is very lucky to have a mummy like you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks HomeLadyChef for your kind words !
    I amused myself and my sons with my cookings all the time ! lol

    ReplyDelete