Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chicken Rice


As promised, since this is the pure Mummy stressed weekend due to PSLE, I tend to cook more again ! Oh no, don’t get me wrong, it’s not me taking the PSLE exam - my elder son is the one ! I am just the study-mama for the next few days, where the typical elder son respond to my usual query on his studies is, “Yes Mummy, I have studied this..” Hmm. does that sound reassuring to the mummy ?

I guess I am just the unconventional one. You guess it ! Putting myself into the madness of cooking ** LOL ** Is this is the typical mummy ? I try to convince myself that in some ways I am contributing meaningfully to this whole exam madness, ie. giving my elder son moral support... in terms of nutrition. If you look at it, it means I need to get away (victim mode), to stay off his path so that I don’t unnerve him and myself . HaHa ;-)

Ok, now.. for something relatively simple would be good to get by this weekend for the family.

Singapore Home Styled Chicken Rice Recipe

What is required for the Chicken
1 chicken (around 1kg to 1.5kg)
5 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1 stalk of spring onion
1 tsp of salt
¾ pot of water ( just ensure the whole chicken is submerged into the water)
3 slices of ginger
1 string
2 tbps of sesame oil (or can be vegtable or olive oil)

How to do it :
1. Salt the whole chicken including the inside of the chicken
2. Stuff the garlic and spring onion into the chicken
3. Tie the 2 chicken drumstick with a piece of string to hold the stuffings
4. Boil the pot of water. Switch off the stove. Put the chicken and ginger into the boiled water. Cover the pot with a lid (no peeping during the 1 hour) to avoid letting the hot steam escape.
5. Remove the chicken and cut the string.
6. Run the chicken under cooling water.
7. Rub the chicken with sesame oil to give it a good taste and shiny look.
8. Proceed to chop the chicken once it is cooled.

You got to try it to believe it , that the chicken meat can be cooked in this manner , without having the stove heat on ! This is One of the wonder recipes taught to me by my HongKong campus friend, Ada while I was studying in Australia.

By not having the stove heat on, this makes the chicken tender and delicious, since it does not overcook it and leaving behind the juiciness of the chicken.

What is required for the Rice
2 cups of rice - cook for 4 adults and 2 kids
5 cloves of chopped garlic
3 cloves of peeled garlic
5 shallots chopped
1 tbps of cooking oil
3 cups of chicken stock (from the boiled chicken above).

How to do it
1. Wash the rice in a pot of water and drain the water. Repeat this until the water is relatively clear.
2. Use a wok (or a pot if you don't have a wok) and heat the oil.
3. Fry the shallot and chopped garlic until fragant. Add in the rice grain and fry for around 5 mins.
4. Remove and put the rice into the rice cooker.
5. Add in the chicken stock and ensure the chicken stock is 1 inch above the rice in the rice cooker .
6. Add in the peeled garlic
7. Let this cook as per normal in the rice cooker.

Hope you enjoy this tenderising chicken rice recipe !

No comments:

Post a Comment