Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chocolate Truffles ( Chocolate Ganache)


Here's the Chocolate Truffles , as promised.

Somehow this making of Chocolate truffle is by pure accident. I was exploring on how best to make Snowskin MoonCakes and see if I could possibly impress someone - somewhere, anyone - anywhere ... don't ask me how, but just that little playful show-off within me , begin to research on how to put together a Chocolate Ganache as part of the delectable snowskin mooncake, to add more excitement to my palate.

Upon surfing the internet, what actually inspired me was how different combination of wines can be combined with Chocolate Truffles. Isn't it great that I can finally do something with my bottle of Bailey ! (Yes, as always I am so fortunate !) As I browsed through recipes for Chocolate Truffles, I was more convinced than ever as this is quite simple TO IMPRESS (yeah !) , so started my journey of scouring for what would be the best Chocolate to use, and combination ..

It seems that there are countless Chocolates available.. umh.. which should I choose..Converture, Dark chocolate, Plain chocolate , Milk chocolate, White chocolate, Coca, Chocolate chips , Organic chocolate, or simple Cocoa powder ! I never knew the true World of Chocolates until now. Wow..I do give more respect now to Chocolates, after reading a book on "Chocolate Ecstasy" by Christine France. If you could ever lay your hands this book, it showcases the most sinful chocolates recipes available. The book has georgous pictures of the most delicious chocolates cakes and desserts. I would if I could to put these pictures here, but you know I couldn't...


Now, do you know that Chocolate Truffles start from the respectable Ganache.. ? Well, Ganache comes from a French term , where this refers to the smooth combination of equal chocolate and heavy cream. Dark, milk, or white chocolate can be used to make ganache. To make it more exciting, you can add liqueurs like Whisky, Rum, Bailey (my fav ! ...remember I am a chocolatey person ) and so on...


What is Required for the Ganache

250 grams Dark Chocolate (or semi-sweet ones), either in form of Chocolate Bars or Chips
250 whipping cream
2 tbsp of butter
5 tbsp liqueur ( I use Bailey ! use more if you desire stronger taste)

I made some without liqueur for my children and add 50g of white chocolates (or can replace with honey) into the Ganache to make it less bitter for them !


How to Do it

1. Heat the Whipping Cream.
2. Melt the chocolates in a double boiler method by boiling a pot of hot water and placing a metal bowl on top of the pot of boiled water.
3. Add the Butter.
4. Put the Chocolate into the metal bowl to melt it.
5. Once melted, remove it from the pot.
6. Pour the whipping cream onto the melted chocolate and whisk until you get a smooth texture.
7. Leave it overnight in the refrigerator to harden.
Coatings for Truffles

Cocoa Powder
Toasted chopped Nuts ( I use walnuts ! others like pecans, almonds, hazelnuts )
Icing Sugar
Toasted Coconut
Shaved Chocolate





How to Do it
1. Scoup the harden chocolate and roll into small ball. Or you can use a melon scoop for this.
2. Coat and roll the toppings onto the Chocolate ball.

Isn't this simple... ? So, next time you want to impress your guests, you can have your own haute coutre chocolate anytime at the convenience of your home. Try it and have fun !

1 comment:

  1. wow....Nice chocholate! I would try your recipe one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete