Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fish Congee



Since it's Sunday, I thought I'll spend more time to cook some nutritious lunch for my sons and Mr H. This is what every mother would like to do so, something which as a full-time working mother, I hardly have the good fortune to do so. I am really envious of stay-home mums ! ** sigh **

Hmm.. So what's next, my sons' fav are usually noodles, however I decided rather than having noodles every weekend, I will embark on making some congee.

I love the the glu-ey smooth ones where you don't even see the rice grains. Oo.. tis so fine you can feel it melt in the mouth. I had the great fortune to have been treated to one in Hong Kong during a past business trip where my ex-boss brought me to this very popular restuarant (think was at Stanley Road, can't really recall, must ask her again). This restuarant has so many types of congee selection, even has Abalone Congee on its menu !

To make very good congee, as I recall from my HK friends, the way to do it, is to choose small rice grain, cook it like any porridge and transfer to a Rice Cooker to cook it over-nite for at least around 6 hrs. All it takes is very little cooked porridge, about 1 bowl and add water till 3/4 of the rice cooker. This breaks down the rice grains and make them super-fine.

Anyway, for mine, I cook the porridge for around 2 hours, over a stove, at a low fire.



I begin by adding some dried scallops and sweet potatoes, right from the start. The rule of the thumb is to add water whenever the porridge is too concentrated , about 2 inch above the water. Keep stiring so that the bottom of the porridge do not get burnt.

Finally, around 1.45hrs later, since I cannot let 3 other hungry souls go wailing, I decided it's time to add some ikan bilis stock , the threadfin fish (the fish meat is more tender) and some ginger slices. Add some salt to taste. And serve...



Hmm.. as I guess it, my younger son begin to whine, "mummy, it's so hot". Then my elder boy started on "Pease Porridge hot, pease porridge cold, .. " And, the Mummy, ended with "Pease porridge in the Pot nine days' old ".

We ALL had a good laugh. You really can't always pease everyone..can you !

No comments:

Post a Comment