Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Children Day Chocolate Cake


As usual, my son Vic volunteered the mummy aka "me" to his teacher , to create a Children's Day cake for his class. Hmm.. Mummy seems to be the popular word whenever the need arises.

Definitely not for the faint- hearted !



Between my breaks or in-between my Laptop as I work my office emails, somehow the cheeky face pops nonchalantly, purring one of those "mummy plszzzzzzz". Oh dear..., that pathetic angelic face, with drooping eyelids again.. alas..always wins the day yet again.

And that was a few days ago announcing my D-Day for the impending.. So, here I was on 1st Oct (Childrens' Day) baking my heart out for a class of 40 children for his Class celebration on 2nd Oct.
I figured if I need to work, my son has to jolly well share the same thrill that I am going through for the afternoon... So what you see is the joint effort of the mummy and ever-so eager son pair teaming up..




Wish I could get him to be just as enthusiastic about his studies !

Anyway, to follow through..


Children Day Chocolate Cake Recipe

What you need for the cake
200 g sugar
200 g butter
4 eggs beaten
200 self raising flour
50g of Cocoa powder
1 Tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp fresh milk

What you need for the chocolate frosting
200ml of whipping cream
50g butter
5 Tbps of honey
30 g sugar
200g dark chocolate
Any type of gummies ( bears, dinosaurs, snakes)
How to do it
1. Heat oven to 190C or 375F.
2. Mix the 200g butter, with the 200g sugar, 200g self-raising flour, 4 eggs and 50g Coca powder , add in the millk and mix until texture is smooth. Insert a toothpick to check the toothpick comes out clean, without any residue mixture.
3. Spread the mixture over the baking tray
4. For the chocolate frosting, heat a double-boiled pot of water.
5. Once the water boilded, use the smaller pot for melting the chocolate to create the frudge.
6. Heat the 200ml of cream and break the chocolate into small chunks over the heated cream.
7. Addd the butter and honey. Stir well until all is mixed.
8. Pour the fudge over the baked chocolate cake.


Finally, this is the best part.. The long awaited creativity unleashed by the ever-so-eagerly-anticipated son to decorate with all the trimmings on the cake !!

How's that for being a mummy .. ** phew **

1 comment:

  1. Hi, how long do I bake this cake for?
    Do I bake it at 190C?
    What is the correct pan size I should use?
    Can I say 9 inch round pan?
    Also, for the fudge frosting, when do I add the sugar?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete