Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Pandan Chiffon Cake




I had a request a week ago from Mr H's colleague for a Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe. I have seen this Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe a few times but have never attempted it. Hmmm.. here's the chronicles of my very serious attempt to make this chiffon cake as perfect as possible.

Well as serious as I would like to be.. my 1st attempt on Sunday, you should see how my face fell flat .. I swear I could hear my ego crash-landed onto the ground , with the all-knowing smiles from the 3 guys in my life, snickering away when we saw my FLAT chiffon cake, or should I say, what looks like a chiffon pancake emerging out from the oven.

It didn't help that my boys commented that it was much tastier than ...oh whatever (who cares !) I am not going to sit back and play the comforted one !

And ..you know who's again goofing around , this time with my Chiffon mould ...



Whatever it is, I decided I shoud try again, so begins my 2nd attempt.

First, let me introduce my home-made pandan leaves, fresh from the garden





To get the pandan juice out, blend 12 pandan leaves in a blender and add 3 tbsp of water into the minced pandan leaves. Put the minced pandan leaves into a porous cloth, and squeeze out the juices.





My ever-faithful ingredients



200ml thick coconut milk
125ml cooking oil
2 tbsp pandan juice or pandan flavoured paste
8 egg yolks
8 egg whites
300g caster sugar
225g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
Chiffon Mould


This is the way to separate the egg whites from the egg yolk



Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
Cream egg yolks with sugar, add in the coconut milk, corn oil, pandan juice and green colouring. Add in the sifted flour and mix well until smooth.


Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
Here's was my downfall in my 1st attempt. I only managed beat till the 1st stage. This requires to continue till it reaches the soft form stage..


Pour egg yolk mixture slowly into the stiffly beaten egg whites and mix lightly till well mixed. Pour mixture into an ungreased 25cm x 10cm chiffon cake tin.


Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 45-50 minutes. Cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean. Invert cake onto a wire rack and leave to cool in the tin before turning out.



Use a Knife to cut the base of the cake and set aside to rest.



Yummy... cut and serve !


This time round, Mr H commented "I am impressed !" .. and..the boys love it !
The moral of the story, 2nd time is always a charm.. Try this and let me know your success story.

4 comments:

  1. pandan is so delicious! i love love love it. i will definitely have a crack at this recipe. i've been meaning to get into baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy.. Chiffon Pandan cake is my hubby's fave.. I will try it when I return from this long holiday.. need to make a trip to malaysia for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadja, it's easy once you get started and very satisfying once you see the result. All the best to your baking voyage !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winnie, it's one of my favourite too ! Do give it a try..

    ReplyDelete